Thursday, May 17, 2012

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I love Borderlands.  It's on my list of "games that never get old no matter how much I play them".   I love the world of Pandora, I love the cel-shaded art style, I love the over the top characters, and for fuck's sake I love the loot.  OH GOD, SO MUCH LOOT.   I have long since considered a craft project of making my own CL4P-TP "Claptrap" robot, and for years the text message chime on my phone was Claptrap's "HaHAAA!!!"   Needless to say, Borderlands 2 is incredibly high on my Must Buy list of upcoming games for this year.



But now, Gearbox Software has outdone themselves.  The Ultimate Vault Hunter Edition of the game has come out, packed with enough awesome swag to make it the first video game I have ever willingly thrown $150 at.  Hell I didn't even plunk down the $100 for the special edition of Skyrim.  I was tempted with Batman: Arkham Asylum, because of the batarang, but it still wasn't worth paying over $100 for.  Special Edition sets are just not something I am willing to pay so much for, no matter how fancy.   But this package?   Sweet baby jeebus on a cracker...worth it.  Check this out:

Borderlands 2 Ultimate Vault Hunter Edition

The postcards and the stickers are nice, but I can't say as I really give a flying fuck about them.  I really dig the cloth map, though I hope it's slightly better quality than some games (again, I'm looking at YOU, Skyrim!).   The Creatures Of Pandora chart is kinda cool.  All this stuff is neat, I suppose, but they have never gotten me excited.  It's just paper stuff you'd get at a con booth.  The cool stuff that makes a special edition worth it are things like the hardcover art book and the Field Notes From Sir Hammerlock.   I really dig the Marcus bobblehead, since lord knows you find tons of them in-game.  I'd rather they swap it out with a toy Claptrap, but hey I still think it's nifty.  Replicas of in-game items made real are always a big selling point to me.  The vending machine bobblehead box is all right, but I'm willing to bet it's just a flimsy cardboard box.   All of this is pretty neat, but not really enough to make me say "I want to give you one hundred and fifty of my hard-earned dollars...


BUT IT ALL COMES IN A REPLICA LOOT CHEST!!!

That sold me.   All of the loot and swag above is crammed into a small replica of one of the in-game chests.   It's obviously not life-sized, and it doesn't open like the chests do in the game, with multiple panels sliding out in different directions to display the guns inside, but it still looks fantastic, and like an amazing display shelf piece.  A real picture of the box has been shown, and I'm actually surprised at how large it is.  It probably has to be, to contain all of that.  It's just a simple latch and hinge, but I am totally okay with that.  I WANT IT NOW.   I can use it to hold knick-knacks, or fill it with candy, or put it on top of the television to hold all of my console controllers!

So yeah, Gearbox Software, I am impressed.  This package is absolutely amazing.   Looks like paying my rent this month will have to wait; I'll be heading on down to Gamestop to plunk my money down on the counter, you glorious bastards.

And just in case you haven't seen it yet...there's also an amazing-looking game in that box, too:

Official Borderlands 2 Launch Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment